Saturday 31 August 2013

87 CSI Challenge - Dream Big

Another opportunity this week to scrap some travel photos with these spring like colours.
I was inspired by the picture of the map, as well as the evidence prompt, to use a map print.  Having failed miserably to draw a map or find a suitable map, I decided to draw a mind map which would enable me to use this photo with the top of DGD ‘S head cut off.  The French motifs were cut from a piece of fabric from my stash....they chose to play nicely with some ancient stickers.

I backed the tissue paper butterfly with Jak paper, smudged some gelatos on and beaded the centre

Esther had a bright blue bib on, so I cut a yoke from a scrap of fabric and made her a pinafore which I just glued over the top of the bib.  Very happy with that bit of disguise.
 The hot air balloons and the little carousel horse (further down) were cut from Upikit paper
Love those Scrapmatts words
EVIDENCE
Map print (hand drawn mind map)
Architectural accents
Transportation accent (boat)
Travel Accents (hot air balloon)
Wave shapes (under the boat)
Stitching
Mist (butterflies)
Stickers (footprints)
Arrows (at the end of mind map)
Butterflies

TESTIMONY
Is on the back of the layout and was inspired by the mind mapping prompts

THE JOURNALLING READS

When I think of how I grew up without a telephone, a television or toys, I wonder if you will have the same drive to leave home and see the world as I did. My sisters and I were outside kids, climbing trees, making mud pies, catching lizards and tadpoles, growing silk worms and constucting cubby houses.  We went to bed when the sun went down, as there was no electicity. The lavatory was a long drop at the end of the garden which smelt of phenyl and harboured all sorts of bitey creatures.  The only water was had was caught in tanks, so every drop was precious.  I had no knowledge of a world beyond my farm and the tiny local town until I went to school at aged six. There, I first saw a black and white encyclopaedia with pictures of far away lands and people from different cultures.  It sparked a thirst for travel that has enriched my life and taught me about our global village. 

I hope the immediacy of the news and world events will not saturate your mind and make you afraid to see the rest of the world.  It’s true there are dangers, just as there are here in Australia, but the benefits far outweigh the risks.  To savour different foods, listen to exotic music, witness tribal dance and photograph spectacular scenery, is exciting and educative, but for me the lasting legacies have been tolerance of other cultures and gratitude that I live in such a lucky country.   Who knows what the world will be like when you leave school, but I hope you put aside your electronic gadgets, be brave and explore the road less travelled.  Go well little one. Love Granny

MATERIALS
Core’dinations Cardstock
Webster’s Pages - Plum Seed Garden Trellis patterned paper
Upikit - patterned paper 270260 (hot air balloons and horse) 
Tim Holtz - Ideology tissue wrap (big butterfly)
Sandy lion - stickers (animals)
Bo Bunny Press - sticker (boat)
Scrapmatts - scrap words CB 1200
Imaginarium - alphas
Derivan Matisse - Gesso
Dylusions Ink Spray- Fresh lime
Sensations - Seed beads
The Crafter’s Workshop template - Butterfly Meadow
Tattered Angels Glimmermist - Patina
Tombow Pen - 126
Fabric - Spotlight (French motifs)
Fabric - Mother’s stash (Esther’s pinafore)
Footprint stickers - Unknown


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. wow Helen, this is so creative and whimsical ... love the idea of this , very very cute xxoox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah this is sooo special Helen! Super mind map...so beautifully and creatively done! Love your journalling and such a beautiful sentiment! As always you create with such heart! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this layout when I first saw it in the forum... such a clever idea with all the ideas streaming out of her head. I love that this is so different from your normal style but so in keeping with the way you think and express yourself. I am tired so I hope this makes sense :) the colours are wonderful and I love your journalling. I think that these are fears that we, our generation, have for our grand children especially because we have know both worlds. So special xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very clever and creative layout......love how you solved this case. Gorgeous little girl and the perfect title. Wonderful layout. xx

    ReplyDelete