Sunday 7 April 2019

Scrap Matrix DT April challenge - Fly

Welcome back to Scrap Matrix this month 
where we are challenging you to use a quote with the word
FLY in it.

You can create a layout, a card, a canvas or something off the page.   


The quote I chose is one that is packed with meaning for me, 
so I wanted it to be central to the page.



I also wanted to challenge myself to use warm colours, reds, oranges and yellows; colours I tend to avoid.  I used some teal for a pop of contrast and I think it turned out O.K.



I typed out the quote and printed it on water colour paper.


Then I cut out the triangle with a steel ruler and a sharp blade.

I taped the paper to my craft mat to stop it warping when the ink went on.


Using Tim Holtz Distress Oxide inks, I smooshed some green randomly around the triangle.




Next, I stamped out a variety of flowers on heavyweight 
water colour paper. I used Jane Davenport water colour paints, "Glitz-Sea" to colour them in.





Assembling the flowers over the edge of the cut triangle proved to be a bit tricky, but by using soft matte gel and a sturdy book, I managed to get the water colour papers to stick together.

The flowers looked a bit lonely so I added some flying creatures!


The butterflies and dragon fly were white embossed on vellum.
Using Dina Wakley Scribble Sticks, I added some faint colour on the back of the vellum.

The black leaves I created with Tim Holtz Ideology foam stamps,
 "Cut out floral".

For a bit of shimmer, I added gold to the centre of the flowers and flicked Paper Artsy gold ink all over the finished piece.  I hesitated to do that, as I've wrecked other projects by trying to "Gild the Lilly!"
Luckily it worked fine this time.




I hope you find time to play along, just add your entry to the Scrap Matrix Shares page in the corresponding folder and don't forget to let us know what Scrap Matrix products you used and what inspired you.  You could be in the running for a generous gift voucher or perhaps a Guest Design Team spot down the track.


Scrap Matrix Products used:-


From Scrap Matrix - not currently in stock
Paper Artsy Stamp - ETS18
Paper Artsy Stamp - ETS22
Tim Holtz Ideology Stamps - Cut out Floral

From my stash
White embossing powder

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning, Helen! I've never thought to surround a shape other than an oval or circle, but you've made me want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just gorgeous and I love the various blooms and florals! I am a flowery girl and this is just my kind of project!!! Really love that sentiment too...so special! ;-)

    ReplyDelete