Friday 8 February 2019

Scrap Matrix February 2019 - Helen's Mini Book

Welcome back to the Scrap Matrix challenge this month 
where we don't have a mood board to inspire you.
That's because the team has been asked to work with minimal supplies and mine are photographed below.




I had a stamp, a stencil, Dylusions Paint, Dylusions spray

and Dina Wakley Acrylic paint.

 To this bundle of supplies, I added two pieces of patterned paper and some heavy chipboard.

 I decided the best way to combine them all was to make a mini book. Not something I'd done before, but I made a little template out of paper to see if my idea would work. 


It's my Grandson's final year in Primary School this year and I wanted to make him a little book of positive affirmations.

This paper from Pink Fresh Studio,
 Escape the ordinary collection, "Search" had just the kind of thing I was looking for.


I cut some heavy chipboard 23 cm x 15 cm and scored a 
1 cm spine in the centre.



Using Pink Fresh Studio, Indigo Hills, "Pinnacle", patterned paper, I cut a piece 27 cm x 19 cm and folded the edges in.


I trimmed a notch out of each corner and burnished the folds
firmly with a bone folder.



Using a strong wet glue, I adhered the paper to the chipboard.


A plain grey lining completed the cover.


The cover was decorated with dies from Pink Fresh Studio, 
"Escape the ordinary".  These die sets are such good value for money; I've used them on 4 or more layouts, several cards, now this mini book and there are still lots left in the packet.



On the first page, I had yellow and brown paints to use, neither of which, were the colour I was looking for, so I blended a bit of each to make this mustard yellow.  Using the first of many Tim Holtz stencils, I sponged a pattern around the edge, before adhering the butterflies and stamping "love you" with AALL & Create #14 stamp with Tim Holtz black archival ink.




My Grandson is smart and witty, but sometimes school get's a bit overwhelming.  I wanted him to have a little book of affirmations in case things got too demanding this year. 

This Fingerprint Stencil by 13@rts, made me think of his unique qualities and I wrote a little message in between the fingerprint lines.  I used texture paste through the stencil and then sprayed some watered down "Dirty Mojito" Dylusions ink while it was still wet.  On the opposite page, I used a Tim Holtz stencil, "Dot Fade"



How are you going?  It's a long post, so you might like to get a cuppa!  On this page, I used an AALL & Create stamp, #14 and another Tim Holtz stencil 004, This time I used Distress Oxide inks, Fired Brick and a little Map Marker from the die cuts,  I just doodled to create a border on the opposite page.



This is the middle page; using more die cuts and a Star Stencil from Tim Holtz.  The Dirty Mojito Dylusions spray, that I had to work with was too dark and to blend with the green dies, so I just added a few drops of blue in a mini mister to get the right shade.



I love this stamp set from AALL & Create #14.  It works brilliantly for this Grand Boy, as he is fascinated by Geography, loves to draw maps and has a great eye for detail.  The little stars and the map marker are from the same die cut set and the blue stencilled pattern is from, yes, you guessed it, Tim Holtz S082.



Nearly at the end, well done, if you are still with me!
Using texture paste through yet another Tim Holtz stencil, "Eye Chart", I smooshed some Tim Holts Distress Oxides over the top.  I highlighted his initial, the year level and his age with a Fude pencil.



Finally the last page. Yay!
One more Tim Holtz stencil S075 to decorate the corner and it's finished.  You can see the way I attached the signature to the spine here.  I used my Cropodile to punch some holes and then threaded some silver elastic through, fastening with a bow at the front.

I hope you find time to play along, just add your entry to the Scrap Matrix Shares page in the corresponding folder and don't forget to let us know what Scrap Matrix products you used and what inspired you.  You could be in the running for a generous gift voucher and perhaps a Guest Design Team spot down the track.


Scrap Matrix Products used:-
13 @rts Stencil, Finger Print
Finnabair Texture Paste
Tim Holtz Stencils
Tim Holtz Distress Oxides
Tim Holtz Archival Jet Black ink
AALL & Create #14 Stamp
Dylusions mist, Dirty Mojito
Dylusions acrylic paint, Melted Chocolate
Dina Wakley acrylic paint, Lemon
Pink Fresh Studio, Indigo Hills, "Pinnacle"
Pink Fresh Studio, Escape the ordinary collection, "Search" 

9 comments:

  1. Oh wow Helen, this is wonderful.. love each page and I am sure this will be something he will treasure with all his school tings from his last year.. amazing you have only used a few things, there is so many details.. love this..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one amazingly talented grandma, Helen! This is an absolute treasure! Love the wonderful positive thoughts & your writing on the fingerprint is just brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous Helen, love all the details too! Love it x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous little motivational book for your grandson Helen, I'm sure he will treasure it. I sat down with cup of coffee and really enjoyed reading about how you made the pages, especially love the fingerprint stencil with the writing between but I think the middle page spread is my fave. Very inspiring way to use diecuts and cut-aparts, love it :o)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's such a clever design for a mini Helen! I've so missed your awesome creations and hope you are well. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Helen!! This is brilliant! What a fabulous little book to give your grandie. He will love looking through this and reading all the positive messages inside. As well as being inspirational, each page is also a mini work of art, so gorgeous!! Love this!! hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. HELEN :O this is just wow!. What a fabulous thing for him to take into his last year of primary school it is beautiful and I love the journalling between the ridges of the fingerprint.. so cool... He will treasure this for a very long time <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a gorgeous project, love all the details!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a special mini album for your grandie! Love all the artsy touches and affirmations.
    Lots of work and love went into this..I know he will love it and I hope he takes great strength from it. 😊

    ReplyDelete