Monday 15 October 2018

Scrap Matrix DT, October 1018, "You've got mail" a 2nd post from Helen

Welcome back to the Scrap Matrix challenge where this month
the challenge is to be inspired by this mood board.
"You've got mail" 


With this project, I want to pay tribute to my Husband's ancestor, Mary Tully, who migrated to Australia from Ireland, in 1858.
When she got mail from her Mother, it travelled by ship taking about 66 days to reach her.  Quite amazing really, as the Suez Canal had not yet been dug.



I chose papers from the 7 Dots Studio, Garden Party Collection.
To begin, I applied a layer of clear gesso, as I planned to use texture paste, paints and mists.



I cut a third of the deep purple paper off and joined it to the lighter paper, as I wanted to create a "Picture Rail" effect, like the one in the dining room of my childhood family home.

Using a TCW stencil "Tuscan Floral" and Prima Acrylic paints, I added some colour and texture on the lighter paper.



After adding gesso to these chipboard pieces, I added a coat of Prima Opal Magic, Violet/Green



Delighted with the look of the chipboard, I tossed some Prima Art Stones into a puddle of the same Opal Magic.  I just love the shot taffeta look they give.   Hmmm!   You may not be old enough to remember shot taffeta, but I had many a ball gown made of it in my youth!   It gave a gorgeous shimmery two tone look to the fabric. Delicious when the skirt flared out during a waltz!   
But I digress....moving on....



Here I've added some lace from my Mother's stash, a die cut frame, a tag, a title and some random flowers from my stash.
I shuffled things, added, discarded, left it all for a day or so and just couldn't find a way to cluster things that looked lovely.

Eventually I managed to arrange a couple of clusters that were pleasing to me & quickly attached them with Art Basics soft matte gel.  The perfect medium for glueing anything bulky.



I popped a few seed beads into the middle of the medallions
and painted the wooden stamp frame with Prima Acrylic paint.


The little tufts of purple net are from my Mother's millinery stash.

 I decided to tuck an envelope behind the photo and to include in it, a letter that Mary received from her  Mother, Bridget Tully in Ireland.  We think Bridget was illiterate, so the letter was probably written by the Parish Priest.

I've included a copy of the letter here if you are interested.



Kells Co. Meath, Ireland,
17th. Aug., 1858

Dear Mary,


I had the greatest pleasure and consolation of receiving your welcome letter dated 11th June last; and we are all overjoyed to hear from you and finding you in good health as we all are here at present-blessed be to God for all the mercies and goodness to us- your father is at present working at Drewstown but you know his wages is low.  Your brother Henry is very well, he is living near Trim.  I have not seen him these two years but once, and that is lately.
Farrell remains with Mr. Nelson and Biddy is living at home.  Mr. Gilsenan and his family are all in good health and also all other friends and well wishers, Mr. And Mrs. Fay and family are right well, likewise Pat Murtagh and family.
The crops are generally very good this season with the exception that the oats is short and light, but the potatoes are as good as you ever saw them in the best of times.
Nothing strange has occurred hear since unless the deaths of Doctor Bennett-Patrick Plunkett at the cross-also big Mrs. Maguire of Cross Street and the Rev. Father Dillon of Kilbeg.
I request most particularly that you will not neglect to write to us frequently-at least once every six months-and let us know all particulars about your situation, and I trust the Almighty will favour you with a good one where you will see not bad morals and where you will be convenient to a chapel and have liberty to attend punctually to your religious duties.
Your old mistress in Dublin wrote twice to me asking about you.  James Carrol and wife are well.  Biddy and Farrell join with me in love to you and hoping to hear from you before Christmas.

I remain dear Mary
Your affectionate Mother
Bridget Tully.
     
Marked with a cross, her mark   
          x
Old Mrs. Bradley got a letter on yesterday from her daughter Anne in Sydney-she is well and is married to a man of the name of Masterson-but I don’t know his Christian name.  Her address is No.32 Francis St., Wooloomooloo, Sydney.



Scrap Matrix Products used.
Dina Wakley clear gesso
7 Dots Studio Paper
7 Dots studio Paper
7 Dots Studio Paper - Annual
7 Dots Hazy Days tags
Wood postage stamp frame
Prima Opal Magic
Art Basics - Soft Matte Gel

These two items are also from Scrap Matrix
but are currently not available.

Blue Fern Chipboard - Layering Stems
TCW Stencil - Tuscan Floral

Thanks for calling in today, I hope you find time to play along, 
just add your entry to the Scrap Matrix Shares page in the corresponding folder; don't forget to let us know what Scrap Matrix products you used and what inspired you.  You could be in the running for a $30.00 gift voucher from the generous Vicki Christensen and perhaps a Guest Design Team spot down the track.

9 comments:

  1. Oh Helen, what a precious memory you have captured here on this wonderful layout.. I love the colors and the texture of the stenciling too.. and what a wonderful letter, I think the art of letter writing is diminishing in this digital age... what treasures will be left for our future generations ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful page Helen!! What a lovely tribute to your husband's ancestor.. I love the colour palette! The purples and yellow look lovely together and, yes, I remember shot taffeta!! Showing my age too I guess, LOL!! Absolutely love this page!! Enjoy the rest of the week my dear friend!! hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So gorgeous! the layout is beautiful, and I love all the elements here. The letter is so precious!
    Taffeta is something I never saw myself, but always imagined while reading 'Gone with the wind'....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh GOODNESS! That letter is incredible...so poignant. NOthing like today and SKype! And your LO is, of course, as always, totally magnificent. LOVE the vintage vibe that matches the photo so, so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my--I don't know what to say, Helen. This is absolutely a family treasure--the picture, letter & your incredibly beautiful page! I adore the lace, stenciling with seed beads, the art stones--everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh - you have a copy of such an old letter! Wow! It makes me feel not so bad knowing exactly what you mean about the shot taffeta - lol.
    Yet again, an amazing, heartfelt page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a truly beautiful page Helen, and beautiful page to treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous vintage page...love the pops of purple, especially with the paste! Love that letter too....definitely a keepsake from the past! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I love vintage and this is no exception. How wonderful to have the letter to include with your layout and I love the flower clusters with the chipboard pieces.

    ReplyDelete