Tuesday 2 May 2017

Kraft+ Design Team for May - Always in my heart

Hello again Scrappy Friends, welcome to Kraft+ in May, 
where I'm sharing a post using a different shaped photo. 
The challenge is NOT to use square or rectangular photos.
Interested?  Click here to see what the rest of the team have created to inspire you.

When I was sifting through my photos for ideas, I came across the photo of my dear Mother, Mary.  I wondered what shape would reflect her personality and a diamond came instantly into my mind. With Mother's Day just around the corner, I reflected on my random good fortune to have Mary as my Mother, Teacher, Mentor and Friend.
First I thought I'd add random diamond shapes, but the page evolved with a mind of it's own and I managed to created a floral M, but cutting away the Kraft and inserting floral paper underneath.  Pretty excited with the way it turned out.
The floral stamp is from Unity Stamp - Summertime Bouquet.
The little flourish is an older Rhona Farrer stamp.
I added a few little blooms and the little metal heart from my stash.
 I stitched around the edge of the page, a nod to my Mother's expert sewing skills.
The thank you stamp is from Stamping' Up and I coloured the stamped 
and embossed flowers with gelatos.

The journalling is on the back of the page and it reads:-

Mary, my darling Mother was born during the first world war.  She grew up on a farm and left school after obtaining her Q.C.   Years ago, most girls were encouraged to leave school after Grade seven (Qualifying Certificate).  Education was for Boys, as Girls would eventually marry and stay at home to raise a family!  Mum didn't have a choice but to stay on the farm to help her Parents. She cooked, cleaned, washed and Mothered her seven younger siblings; a daily drudgery for which she received little thanks.   Her dream was to become a teacher, but that choice was denied her by the societal norms of the time.  Her Mother taught her to cook, knit, crochet and tat.   She had her own garden and raised poultry to sell.  Later, after she married and long before computers and You Tube, she taught herself to sew ball gowns, to smock, create hats, weave baskets and decorate cakes to supplement our meagre income.  She was a kind and patient Mother who encouraged us to make the most of our education.  Supremely competent at all she attempted, she was calm and stoic when adversity struck;  she just got on with it, no matter what chaos was happening around her.  Like a diamond, she was multi faceted, strong, wise and generous to a fault.  She also had a great sense of humour, a sparkle in her eye, a love of Irish music and dance. Her empathy for the underdog meant she was forever helping lame dogs over stiles.  My words don't do her justice really, but I am forever grateful that she was my Mother, a constant source of unconditional love right throughout her long life.  Journalling, on her Birthday, 28th April.   

I enjoy reading your comments and appreciate you leaving them.  Thank you.

13 comments:

  1. Helen, what a stunning page to show off this beautiful, striking picture of your Mother. So simple and elegant - the soft colours with the kraft and the diecut cream words set against it, make the perfect backdrop for the photo. Love your journaling as always - sounds like a diamond is the perfect shape to represent your Mum. What a wonderful collection of beautiful pages and stories you are creating for generations to come xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure, Helen! The diamond shape is perfect for that lovely photo & has such great meaning, as well--wonderfully, heartfelt journaling! The letter M with the floral paper behind the triangles is just brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Helen, this is so heartwarming. What a beautiful and loving tribute to your dear Mum. Your page is beautiful! Simple, elegant and totally divine. I love the soft colours of the papers and the diamond shape is so fitting for your Mum's photo. Beautiful journaling and totally exquisite page! hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Wow Helen , a new fave. This is so beautiful in its simplicity. Love all the meanings you have incorporated in your layout of your Mum. The diamond shape, the M for Mary and the little heart, a wonderful tribute to Your Mum. Such a gorgeous photo and I really enjoyed reading your journalling about your Mother. Just beautiful Helen, love, love this
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Helen, this is really special.. The journalling is heartfelt and a lovley tribute.. I love how you cut the Kraft away and didnt simply place the diamond paper on it.. it looks amazing.. love the idea of a diamond too to represent your dear Mother.. I guess all our Mums are diamonds, precious rare and a treasure.. A wonderful take on the challenge this month... I love it..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and your Mum sounds like a very talented lady with all her crafts..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful layout Helen and such a fancy photo of your Mother! I like how you created the background using all the diamonds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous page for this treasured photo of your mother. Thanks for sharing your sweet thoughts of her - so wonderful to read. ~ Blessings, Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful page Helen, especially love the design very creative! Beautiful photo of your mother too <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Helen! It is clear to see that your Mother inspired you in every way! What a delightful page, so vintage and modern all the same. I love the diamond cutouts and gorgeous photo (her necklace is spectacular!) You never fail to inspire me with your unique designs. Biggest hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah Helen I love everything about this layout, the colours you chose, the design and how you thought every detail through but it was your jorunaling that brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye. Although I was born a little ;) after the war I grew up in a house that was pretty much the same. I see many similarities and I will be forever grateful if my children see me in the same light. I am sure your mother was very proud of you and the fact that you seem to have and use the same qualities she had. This is a layout that really really touched me. You always have the knack of doing that <3 Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a special page Helen! Wow...the design is amazing and is just so fabulous! Love the styling on your page and anyone can see that this is definitely art from the heart!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning...such a creative, thoughtful and clever layout. Touching journaling...I'm sure your dear Mum would be very proud of the amazing lady that you are today. xx

    ReplyDelete