Thursday 20 December 2018

The Colour Wheel - Helen's 2nd post, Dec 2018

Welcome back to the Scrap Matrix challenge this month 
where we have a vibrant and colourful mood board to inspire you.



The bright colours reminded me of the Spring flowers in our garden and that led me to thinking of my littlest Grand children blooming like flowers in another state, so the page is all about them.

  We connect on Face time and when our 22 month girl sees my face, she says, "Where's Pa?"  It's almost like she thinks we are the terrible twins; can't have one without the other!   She is  learning about colours now and she knows many of them.  I marvel at her ability to distinguish different hues of the same colour.  


I started with a piece of heavy weight white card stock.
As usual when working with mixed media, I applied a coat of Finnabair White gesso, so the mixed media has tooth to grab onto.


In an attempt to create a hillside of flowers, I mixed Dylusions paints, Periwinkle blue and a big blob of Dylusions White Linen and swiped it on with a baby wipe to create a sky. The colours looked a bit too lavender, so I added a bit of Dylusions Polished Jade. 



The hills were created the same way, but this time with Fresh Lime into a blob of white.


I like the mottled, streaky look created by using a baby wipe to apply the colour.


Next, I added an additional layer by dabbing white gesso through  a stencil from my stash.


While the background was drying, I stamped out various flower and stem images with Tim Holtz Jet Black Archival ink.   Then I  fussy cut the images before adding colour with Dina Wakley Scribble Sticks. These sticks are super creamy and smooth to work with and when water is added, their colours intensify.  Just yummy. 


I used the following stamps.


I may have bought a few stamps when I went to Tracey Scott's 
inspirational classes earlier in the year!

These two are currently out of stock, but can be ordered.

Paper Artsy ETS22
Paper Artsy ETS18


Next, I just fiddled around (yes, that's a scrapbooking term!) until I was somewhat happy with the placement.   I can never settle on the first idea that comes to mind.  

The background looked too bare, so I trialled various stems and small flower stamps on the first version of this layout.   Do you do that too?   Have a trial run, to see what works, make a big hot mess and toss it in the bin?


I won't bore you with pictures of each addition; the clouds, the butterfly, the branches and tiny flowers.



 Suffice it to say, I'm really happy with the finished result.  I'd forgotten to leave room for a quote, so I just scribbled it up the stems.
Ta Da! 



I hope you find time to play along, just add your entry to the Scrap Matrix Shares page in the corresponding folder and don't forget to let us know what Scrap Matrix products you used and what inspired you.  You could be in the running for a generous gift voucher and perhaps a Guest Design Team spot down the track.


Scrap Matrix Products used:-

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Helen--one of my favorite pages! I've never heard of adding paint with a baby wipe--great effect! Forgetting a place for the quote turned out wonderful as I just love how you wrote it by the stems! Happy Holidays to you & your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pure delight Helen! What a brilliant way to showcase the cute photos by placing them in the flower centers .. absolutely gorgeous!! Fabulous background and colour choices .. Love it all!!
    Have a wonderful Christmas with your family, sweet lady, and wishing you all the best for 2019. hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty page and great design. Wishing you a very merry Christmas and wonderful 2019 xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful page Helen, and yes children are like flowers, they bloom and grow and bring wonder and beauty into our lives.. I hope you had a lovely Christmas, and I wish you a very Happy New Year !!

    ReplyDelete