Wednesday 24 April 2013

Orange Paperie April Challenge



The inspiration photo reminded me of the dining room in my home when I was a child.   The pressed tin ceilings were about sixteen feet high and there was a picture rail about a third of the way down from the top. Here stern portraits of my ancestors observed my behaviour. (Or so I thought)  There is some stamping apart from the title, but it doesn't look as bold as I had imagined. You might be able to spot it!

That led me to thinking about the proper and restricted lives my ancestors lived and the strict discipline of my own childhood.  By comparison this little girl lives a life of freedom.  She is not hampered by protocols, but gently encouraged to explore and learn in an atmosphere of love.

On my hunt for frames and wallpaper type paper, I came across some stash which has been there since button up boots and they created just the look I wanted.  The scrap of fabric behind her frame is some upholstery fabric which belonged to my Mother.   I love that tiny connection between my DGD and her GGMother.




MATERIALS
K & Co - Life's Journey, Ceiling Tin Embossed paper (cream)
K & Co - Life's Journey, Domed Frames
K & Co - Blue Awning, Beaded Flower brads
Keepsake Collection - # H5444/6 (silver frame)
Anna Griffin - papers, Floral and Diamond shape (no name on back)
7 Gypsies - For Autumn Leaves (no name on back, small vintage portraits)
We Are Memory Keepers - Embossible Designs - Heritage, Olive (title and ribbon strip)
Prima - Say it in crystals
Prima - Flowers, "Engraver"
Martha Stewart Punch - Vintage Doily
Kasiercraft - Clear Stamps, "Flutter"
Kasiercraft - Mini Clear Stamp "quote"
Magnolia - Doo Hickey, Die Cut, "Rose Leaf"
Fabric - My Mother's stash
Colour Box - Ink, dark brown

Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. Oh, this is fabulous...it looks just like a lounge room wall & those frames above look tremendous! Very clever, Helen:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow love that it triggered a childhood memory for you and what a amazing take on the challenge. Also love the comparison between then and now. Thank You for joining us at Orange Paperie Helen x
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fabulous memories, Helen!
    Love your take on Mary's challenge at OP&C this month.
    Your photo really made me smile:)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this is just incredible Helen, totally love the story and how you have made a picture behind/above a picture, so clever, love it all, thanks for playing along with us this month at OP&C xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous page Helen! I can see that you've put a lot of thought into this layout and the blue is really olde worlde. Thanks for joining in, I love your take on the challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and elegant! Thanks for joining in and sharing with us, xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great page to bring history and the present together!! Beautiful papers and love that sweet and precious photo! What a little sweetie! Beautiful page! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just soooo beautiful. Love the picture rail and those 'stern' faces too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Helen, I can totally relate to your recollection of your childhood dining room and the austere portraits, and strict discipline of your childhood. Brought memories flooding back. I love this layout that you have created from that memory and the fact that after rummaging around you found all the perfect bits and pieces to bring it all together. This is as always a beautiful layout and an even more beautiful layout. I sometimes wonder if kids today know how lucky they are. :D You are such an inspiration to me... challenging me to go right to edge of the abyss, daring me to jump <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very, very clever..... just gorgeous Helen....WOW!!

    ReplyDelete