Tuesday 6 December 2016

Remember - Kraft+ December challenge

Hello again Scrappy friends, a quick post today for the Kraft+ December challenge.

I was intrigued by the mood board which brought back memories of a home 
that kept me safe when I left my family home to begin a career.
The simple graphic lines of the house inspired me to create one too. 
The corrugated iron roof is made with paper by Kaisercraft, "Base coat collection".
The split timber walls are from Jen Hadfield, Warm and cosy collection, "Log cabin”.
These three friends were BFF's when I was doing my Nursing Training 
and remain so to this day. The photo is not great quality, but it's all I have.
I wet embossed the chimney with a brick stamp and used distress inks to colour it.
The border was hand drawn and based on a memory I have of an
 old print blocks paper.

The journalling reads:-

When I transferred from a little country hospital to the big smoke, I felt scared and lonely.  I knew no one; the hubbub and odours of the city were foreign,  and the hospital rules were beyond my comprehension. I felt like abandoning my course and running home; defeated and demoralised.  After my second shift, I trudged to the Nurse’s Home, to find these three country girls smiling under a huge welcome banner with a scrumptious afternoon tea.  I’d never met them before, but they took me under their collective wings, and provided a circle of comfort in an alien landscape. We formed our own tribe; studied together, critiqued boyfriends, laughed and cried together and believed in each other. The Nurse’s home became our home away from home, where we grew from girls into women and bonded together like Sisters.  Decades later, we still meet, and take up where we left off, cemented together with our lived experiences. Home is wherever I am with these special friends.

Thanks for calling in and for leaving some love.  I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

11 comments:

  1. I love your take on this challenge and I love the house design you have used on your layout.. Your journalling is always interesting as you share parts of your life.. This is a wonderful take on the challenge.. and I think Nurses have such a great bond that lasts a lifetime... I hope your week is going well..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. GOSH! You have soooo ROCKED this one. I ADORE your 'house' & the corrugated pp works a treat. LOOOOOVE how your journaling has become part of the house. VERY effective! And such a lovely, heartwarming story, too:):) As always, lovely to have you joining in at K+!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so lovely Helen. I always enjoy reading your journaling and this is no exception .. what a wonderful friendship you have with these lovely women. Must have been a great relief for you when they took you under their wing. I love the house design you've used and that hand drawn border is totally awesome .. I love it!! A brilliant take on the challenge. hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever, unique take on the challenge and what a lovely story to go with your layout. Loved reading about your friendship , friends are indeed diamonds

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, this is just fabulous. I love how you have used the papers for your house and that little bird and chimney are just perfect. Awesome take on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic layout Helen! Great take on the theme! The embossed chimney and sweet little bird adds a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whenever I want journaling inspiration I know where to turn! Your stories are always incredible Helen. I love how you incorporate them into your projects. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazingly creative, Helen--such a wonderful picture of you 3! I have lots of memories of the gals I trained with & wish we weren't spread across the country so we could get together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Helen, this is a fabulous story and layout. (Your story reminds of my own with my nursing training, living in the nurses quarters gave us those bonds).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow....such a fabulous page Helen! Love that hand drawn border...you did a super job on that! Lovely photo and memory too....
    I love those Kaisercraft papers and I still have a few that I MUST use!;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving the house you have created Helen! Great journaling and take on the challenge too. Thanks for playing along with Kraft+

    ReplyDelete